Monday, August 29, 2011

Yum Yum Chicken Lime Tacos

We are so excited to go to Mexico on Friday, it’s not even normal. To celebrate this joyous ocastion (going to Mexico) I’ve been making a lot of Mexican food lately. I didn’t do it on purpose, but I have decided it’s because I’m so stinkin’ excited that subconsciously I'm trying to prepare our bowels! It started off with this tasty little number. Would I dare say that I used everything that they used? No at all. What kind of dinner would it be if I wasn’t substituting this for that, or making my own buttermilk? Not a very good one I’d say. But here’s the recipe.

1 1/2 Lbs. chicken, cubed
1/4 c. red wine vinegar
juice of 1 lime
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
4-5 green onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 Tbsp fresh cilantro (or to taste)
Flour tortillas

Optional toppings:
Pico de gallo
cheese
onions
tomatoes
jalapeno
guacamole
cilantro
sour cream

Sauté chicken in a medium skillet in a little oil for a few minutes until chicken becomes white all around. Combine vinegar, lime juice, sugar, salt, pepper, green onion, garlic and cilantro and add to chicken. Simmer for an extra 10-20 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Add chicken to tortillas and top with lettuce, tomato, cheese, avocado, cilantro, salsa, sour cream, or any other taco topping you like!

Simple, yah? It really was super easy, and I even took 2, count them, 2 pictures of the process.
IMG_5425IMG_5426
I’m not super good at multitasking, so this shouldn’t surprise you that I totally forgot about taking picture of the process. You can imagine it though.
IMG_5427
Here’s what I substituted:
Red Wine Vinegar= Apple Cider Vinegar
Garlic= Some garlic salt (when I opened up a clove it had started to grow a plant… I’ve had it for awhile apparently)
+ a jalapeno and it was grrrrrrrrrrreat. It says to add it to the top, I just mixed mine in with everything else!
+ I melted the cheese on the tortilla on the griddle for a little Café Rio feel, and I’d do it again.
Have I ever mentioned that we live in a kinda ghetto part of town? It’s older, like our house was built in the 1940’s kind of older. So naturally the closest grocery store isn’t so much marketed toward Americans, but I just love it! I’ve only been a few times, like twice, but I decided that if I’m making tacos, I’m making Mexican grocery store tacos!
IMG_4231IMG_4230
Doesn’t it just look magical? I wish you could hear all the mariachi music that they were playing, it’s amazing. They really did have the best produce, and it was stinkin’ cheap.

What’s your favorite taco recipe? Or Mexican food recipe really. Share it with me, pleeeeeease!

1 comment:

Nick and Shelby May said...

My stomach is growling while I'm sitting in class! YUMMMM! I want one NOW! good thing we have 2 days till MEXICO!