Sunday, August 28, 2011

Oats, Oats, Oats, Opples and Banonooooooos

Oh, hey blogosphere, I’ve missed you. I have so much to say to you, I could fill up a whole book with the amount of posts I want to post. But, I wont. I’ll just let you in on my latest and greatest.

 

The other day, before work, I decided that I would eat breakfast. I never eat breakfast (sue me) because I never have time. Even if I wake up a little bit earlier so I can eat something, I never do because I have that much more time to get ready. But on this particular day I didn’t have to get ready until 11:30, so I picked myself up off the couch and headed for the kitchen. I had decided that oatmeal was going to be my best option. I did what  any other lazy person does, and I made it in the microwave (it’s so much better on the stove) because I was on the phone with my sister-in-law. I love oatmeal, and I love to put a little milk and some brown sugar in it. I got out my brown sugar and noticed that it was very, very brown, like a dark brown, and when I put my spoon in it, it kind of just turned to mush. I remembered that a few WEEKS ago I put a little slice of apple in it to bring back the moister. I mom did this all the time growing up, but I’m pretty sure that it worked out for her because she wouldn’t go weeks between using her brown sugar. I was instantly grossed out and threw it away. What else do you put in oat meal? I love it an all, but just blain, boring oatmeal? Nooooooo thank you. I thought to myself “I like the apple and cinnamon kind you can buy, so I’ll add cinnamon”.

IMG_5420

Boooo. It was so chalky, it needed sugar. So I added some cinnamon sugar, and that was just as chalky, with the tiniest taste of sweet, but nothing that I wanted to suffer through. So I finally got smart and asked Winter what to do. She’s a mom, she has to know the best thing for my oatmeal. She recommended honey. HONEY! Why didn’t I think of that?! My honey bear lives right next to my cinnamon, and right below my brown sugar.

IMG_5421

GENIOUS! So I added some honey, mixed it up, settled in for what I thought was going to be the best breakfast of my life, took a bite, and nearly “lost my cookies” if you know what I’m sayin’. Honey and oatmeal were such a terrible combo. The sticky honey consistency and the creamy oatmeal were so mean to each other I was forced to just give up. Not to mention that the cinnamon and cinnamon sugar wanted nothing good to do with everything else going on in the bowl. Needless to say, it accompanied the brown sugar in their forever home.

IMG_5422

I was then forced to be healthy. Maybe this terrible experience with the oatmeal was my sign from the Healthy Gods smacking me in the face.

IMG_5423

I have seriously eaten an apple in peanut butter multiple times this week. It is very yummy, but sometimes I pretend that the peanut butter is Nutella and it just rocks my world.

 

What would you have done in this breakfast crisis? What do you put on your oatmeal? What’s your lazy person breakfast?

3 comments:

Miss Amy said...

oatmeal, cinnamon, agave syrup, sliced almonds! yummmmmo.

Single-Mother Land said...

so funny!! I like my oatmeal really dry because it gags me LOL. This morning I made Noah some oatmeal and he didn't like it.. of course bc he hasn't been tainted with a relentless sweet tooth I hadn't added anything to it. So I put some agave syrup in it and he DEVOURED IT. Agave is the best sweetener ever. It's better for you than sugar- sweeter and kind of like honey. you have to add some to your repertoire of tasty goods :)

Nicole said...

It is called cereal and milk. Oh wait that's not my lazy day bfast, that is my everyday breakfast. Oatmeal IS the non-lazy day breakfast. Sometimes I'll put maple syrup in my oatmeal because I like the maple and brown sugar instant flavor. Apples and PB are delicious too though!