Monday, August 1, 2011

Natural Disaster

Yes Yolks, that's me. The Natural Disaster. I'd like to take a minute of your time to explain to you just why I'm this way. Fact of the matter is, I don't know. I just am. In my tiny little brain I seem to think that I'm the best at EVERYTHING I do. Obviously I'm some sort of gourmet cook in my mind, so adding and subtracting things from recipes seems like a good idea. WRONG. Or while driving, I think I know the roads way better then google maps of course! 20 minutes after the ETA... I'm still not there. Things like that. Naturally, I'm a disaster. I have found myself saying a lot lately, "I don't follow those kind of rules" regardless of the situation. So please, sit back, and let me tell you about last weeks adventure.
After many, many hours of stalking my favorite blogs, I decided that I'm going to take this domestic house wife thing into my own hands. I found two tutorials that looked so simple even I couldn't mess them up. So I went over the supplies of the stamped wall art and declared myself ready to craft. Easy. As. Pie. (literally, because pie is so not easy to make). Looks simple enough right?


Let's start with the supplies.

-Old frame that needs to be revamped.

I'm going to stop right there. I have no such thing, but I've read on tons of other peoples blogs about just where to get one. So I threw on some clothes super fast and rush on down to the local Goodwill. I B-line straight to the frame section, and there she was a beautiful gold frame that was in desperate need of a revamp. It had to be too good to be true. The FIRST frame that I stumble upon can not actually be THE FRAME!

*It looked very similar to this one, only a little more "loved"*
And alas... I found a flaw. This perfect frame had no glass. No glass means there is nothing to stamp on. It was just that, a frame. When I turned her around to see her ridiculous low price to justify me buying her anyway... $75.00. Even in a thrift store I discover the most expensive thing and fell in love instantly. So after we parted ways I walked up and down the frame isle for a good 20 minutes trying to envision my life with another frame. Nothing else spoke to me. I left the store empty handed.
I decided to pull out the trusty old iPhone of mine and find out where the nearest DI was. I found it and was headed there. I was so excited because after not finding anything at Goodwill, the DI would defiantly have what I need. Much to my surprise, their frame section was not even a quarter as good as Goodwill. This is when I start to get depressed and improvise...

"I'll just run to JoAnn's... they ALWAYS have something for me... I need stamps anyway...."
"Maybe I just need a new frame instead of an old one..."

These thoughts all start running through my head and I walk slowly to my car. On my drive to JoAnn's (which is way closer to Goodwill then the DI might I add) I had a great idea of Modge Podging "J & K" for our bedroom. I've wanted to do this for awhile and since I'm crafting right now anyway, what's another project on the pile? This was an easy one, so easy in fact that I've done it before while I was single.

*Thanks for letting me hang this in out closet hub. It no longer matches my bedroom and it's to cute to get rid of.*
Now my list for JoAnn's was:

-Frame (with glass)
-Modge podge
-stamps
-grey and yellow paper

SIMPLE! JoAnn's has NEVER failed me! As I begin my journey through the store I head for things I knew I could find easily. Giant paper mache J & K.
J, check.
K, check.
"and" sign....... crickets..... nothing. Only letters. For the next 10 minutes I picked up and put back the J and K, over and over. I can't repeat the conversation going on in my head because it's far to foul. I had another idea standing in front of the giant letter's to modge podge an "R" for our family room. Then another 5 minutes goes by and I put all the letters back because I don't know what color I would do the "R". I move on to frames... Pricey sums up that problem. So I decided to just get the stamps to make this day worth SOMETHING. I never even found the stamps, or stencils for that matter. Paper was a problem. It was all just so blah.
I walked out of the store that has NEVER failed me, with nothing.

How am I suppose to be this domestic housewife that I read about if I can't even find the first thing on the supply list?! I want to be that housewife so bad... but I guess that's what makes me

The Natural Disaster.

Help!? Where do I get an "and sign"? And cute frames?! Thoughts??

*sidenote: the two people that I told my story to both corrected me when I said "and sign" with "ampersand". I know what it's called*

2 comments:

Single-Mother Land said...

I don't even know what that last sentence means. hahahha
and that exact situation ALWAYS happens to me in Hobby Lobby. I suck at being crafty.

The Bergeson Family said...

I have had those same foul conversations in my head at Joannes. Don't let those crafty stores fool you, i swear they are all designed to second guess ourselves and make us feel crappy because you see all the sweet homely looking ladies there buying fabric to make quilts, blankets and drapes. They suck - you don't want to be a homely housewife - you want to be the Kensley I know - doesn't take crap from NO ONE! Not even Joannes :)