Sunday, August 21, 2011

Oh Essie

Recently my friend Taylor introduced me to a new kind of nail polish. I am a die hard O.P.I. fanatic so I was hesitant to say the least. The color I tried was Turquois and Caicos by Essie.
essie-turquoise-caicos-comparison-greenport
Amazing, amazing. I know. I thought it was super cute and I had nothing else to do than paint my nails. Well, let me tell you everyone, I have written off O.P.I. (ok maybe that was a little dramatic) but Essie is probably my new favorite kind of nail polish. When I say new favorite, I mean I think about buying it all. day. long. It’s like magic on your nails. You know when you get you mani and it just isn’t cuttin’ it anymore come day 3 or 4? It’s all chipped and faded, and it kinda just looks like your 4 year old neighbor did it instead of a professional? Well folks, Essie is a different story. It’s like using a super shiny, smooth kind of paint on your nails, and you don’t have to be a professional! One coat wont do it, but that’s ok because I am obsessed with doing multiple coats. I had the Turquois and Caicos on for over a week with very minimum fading around the edges. I washed my hands like a million times during that week, and showered, worked, even used nail polish remover on my toes and it still stayed on. Now with you understanding just a tiny bit about how awesome this nail polish is I’ll tell you what else I did on my day off other than clean.

I knew I had to buy myself some Essie nail polish because I couldn’t ask Tay to bring hers to work like everyday. I had already checked at Fry’s, and they had nothing. Taylor told me she usually buys hers at Walgreens which is perfect because there is a Walgreens like .25 seconds away from my house. So after I got my house nice a clean, I put my booty in the car, cleaning attire and all, and drove down there to get me some amazing nail polish.
I went straight for the beauty section and started hunting… and hunting… and hunting…. Nothing. My ghetto Walgreens doesn’t carry Essie. I then had this conversation with Taylor aka The Hottest Women Alive (obvi.)
photo
And I did just that. I took my booty to the next Walgreens. Luckily, around these parts they aren’t few and far between. The other 24 hr. Walgreens is about .5 seconds from my house. When I got there, I again, headed straight for the beauty department. There it was, a big, beautiful display of Essie. There were like a million different colors, every shade of pink imaginable, and it was glorious. I thought the heavens opened and angels were singing… Turns out it was just the 12 year old girl standing just down the isle telling her mom all about how maybe next year she can be on the honor roll. She got a C in her class last year, but they will still let her take honors classes, very serious business people.
essie display
Anyway, I stood in front of the display super overwhelmed. This was my first official Essie purchase and I really didn’t want to mess it up. I planned on playing it safe and just getting the Turquois and Caicos like I had tried, but they were out. Of course they were out, this was my second Walgreens, and it was the only color I knew was super, and my life would be just way too easy if they had it. At the top of the magical display they have a row for the new season’s colors. New is always good. So I found a few colors I liked, and a few pinks, a purple here and there, but the only way you REALLY know if you like them is if you try them on. Obviously I did, and I was loving it. I got six colors in when the angels stopped singing and I heard a lady say “Mam, you’re not aloud to try the product before you buy it”. My eye’s went big and my heart skipped a beat. I had gotten in trouble and WALGREENS of all places. So I put all the color’s back except for Power Clutch and walked to the register. I bought my product and left. When I got home, I took this picture.
photo (1)
I bought the one on my pointer finger, but that’s only one coat. It’s amazing, but I’m thinking I need the one on my ring finger too?
I had no idea you weren’t allowed to try it before you buy it. I’ve always done that! No one had ever told me otherwise, and when I  told Taylor about it she judged me and said “hahahaha duuuuuuuuuuuuuhhh!!! You’re ridic!!”. If you only knew her voice you would be totally annoyed too.
The moral of the story is, I can’t even buy nail polish, of course I’m a disaster. I tried 2 stores, 6 colors, and walked away embarrassed with just one. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

Have you tried Essie? What’s your favorite color? Or favorite kind of nail polish for that matter? Have you ever heard of this stupid rule?! I’m still upset about it, but it’s not going to stop me from buying nail polish again, now I know where to get it!
Snapshot_20110821_14

9 comments:

Miss Amy said...

There is a nail supply shop in the Lee Lee's (asian grocery store) on Dobson and Warner. It's on the side of the shopping complex (to the right of Lee Lee's) on the Warner Rd. entrance. You can get ANY OPI or Essie nail polish there. OPI is $4 credit card, $3.50 cash. Essie is $3.50 credit card, $3 cash. AMAZING. They have the nail salon quality everything there. Best acetone ever too. Have fun and fyi, you WILL be overwhelmed! ;)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole said...

Ummm thanks a lot for making me really really really want this nail polish now. But I seriously doubt I'm going to be able to find it... I LOVE the turquoise one, but I also think you neeeeeed that coral one on your pinky. Adorable.

Jim and Kensley said...

Amy- Oh my gosh, I'm so excited now! I'm totally going there this week!
Nicole- You could probably find it at like Ulta, do they have that over there? You can also get it online!!

Single-Mother Land said...

Amy just got me really excited! and I need to try this stuff... I HATE having unpainted nails- but they always chip and look like crap!

Taydenn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Taydenn said...

LOVELOVELOVE essie! That asian nail supply was so amazing, great recommendation!

Kara said...

don't even worry right after reading this post i drove to walgreens to get some essie and painted my nails! love it!

Karsyn said...

Kens! I go to school down the street from hollywood nails and ive been in there like, 12 times! haha i love that place!