Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Almost DMV

My car has had a Utah license plate ever since I've had it. It's been registered at my parents house until June when my dad so kindly told me that it's not his car anymore, signed the title over to me, and wrote up a bill of sale. (I still owe you that dollar dad)

Obviously I do things at the last possible second. I have my alarm go off right when I need to wake up and when it does I tell myself "I'll just hurry today", then hit the snooze for 9 more minutes of bliss. Why on earth would I go in June to get my car registered? That would be CRAZY! So now it's the middle of July and I've come to learn that Hub wants nothing to do with Safety and Emmisions and the DVM. As luck would have it, my diva friend Taylor also had the day off. She asked me if we could go to lunch, and I said we could AFTER we went through the miserable process of registering my car.

*Isn't she a babe, hot and single*

As Taylor and I pulled into the Safety and Emmision place she made the very rude comment of "What if your car doesn't pass?". I'm pretty sure my mouth hit my stearing wheel and then my hand somehow just flew across the car and hit her. "Why would you even say something like that? How rude! It passed last year, so it should be juuuuuuuuust fine". Tay, you jinxed me. Brat.

When we got to the back of the building things started to get a little rough for us. There were like 7 lines to choose from so naturally I chose the line with the shortest wait time. Taylor start's going off about "vehicles newer then 1996" and other ridiculous stuff. I was lucky enough that the shortest line was also the right line to be in after debating back and forth about our different options. Tay was slightly panicked. She's never had to do this kind of stuff before in her life. (nor did I until last year, but Jim was with me!) So I walked her through what was about to happen.

"We just get out, and stand in a really hot booth, and they look at your car, and then you get back in and drive away. All done, and you always pass".

This is the part that is kind of a blur to me. I'm still not exactly sure what happened.

The lady flags us forward and signals for me to roll down my window. She then proceeds to yell at me telling me what could possibly be very important information. I honestly did not understand one word she said. Tay picked up that she wanted my a/c and "other accessories" turned off. I knew that she wanted me to go sit in that nasty greasey chair (instead of the sweaty booth). We hurried out of the car and stood by the greasey chair. As we stood, I told her it would literally take 2 minutes and we would be on our way to the dmv then Cafe Rio. That was not the case. The lady who had just screamed so kindly to get out of the car now came back and screamed about how I failed.

Failed.

Failed.

Failed.

Failed.

FAILED!

Tay your JINXED me!

I don't fail easily. How embarrassing. I had just stood on my soap box 5 minutes ago saying how I passed last year with flying colors, this year would be just as easy. The lady may have screamed at me why I failed, but I was to busy shrinking in embarrassment to hear, so she directed us to the office where someone would go over in better detail the reason why.

We pulled away, tears may have filled my eyes, and instantly turned from embarrassed to pissed.

The guy in the office told me everything I already knew. "You're check engine light is on and all the tests that we ran didn't tell us why. You need to go to a mechanic, have him reset the blah blah blah, fill out the back of this, bring it back within 30 days, and we will run the tests again for free". (Oh ya, did I forget to tell you that I had to pay $27.75 to fail this test?)

I KNOW that my engine light is on. It comes on when it has trouble excellerating, and eventually turns off. It's not a problem, it just happened to turn on the day before, and I'm sure it would go off soon. I didn't tell him that, but I sure wanted to sweet talk my way into passing. But my sweet talking self was stuck inside my embarrassed pissed off self.

So we left. I called the hub and in a very stern way told him, this is your problem, this is exactly why I don't do stuff like this, I don't even understand what just happened, I don't care if I never get my car registered, ya know, that kinda stuff.

Me and Tay went about our day, skipping the DMV, and enjoyed our lunch at cafe rio.

The next, when I got in my car to go to work, my engine light was off.

Surprise, Surprise.

It's August now, and I still haven't gotten my car registered. Hub told me it's not one of those things that I can keep putting off. I told him I can put it off forever.

Does anyone "know a guy" who can pass my car?! OR How do I get it to turn off?! Help a Sista Out!!

*In the defense of Hub, He works a regular job. He's at work at 8 am, and leaves work around 5:30, Monday-Friday. The DMV isn't open on Saturday's so really I do have to deal with the problem. But he would be so much better at it then me!*

2 comments:

The Bergeson Family said...

Gunnar put off registering his car and eventually got pulled over and got a ticket for his license not being up to date!! He even had to go to a court date to deal with it!!! My advice... Wear something slutty next time and get in a line with a scetchy looking guy ;-) don't let Jim know that was my idea ;-)

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

I have a feeling you like yellow just as much as I do :) LOVE IT haha.