Saturday, May 9, 2015

Isolation

I have a whole blog post all quid up and ready to go, it just needed a few pictures (don't they all?) but then drama happened and I'm going to have to come back to it. It's just a 30 week bump date with what I’m sure are less than whitty comments. I'll try to make this update as thorough as possible without being all over the place, I make no promises!!
THIS MAY BE TMI! IF BLOOD AND VAGUNAS GROSS YOU OUT LOOK AWAY NOW!
IMG_0133
So Thursday evening we were eating a very healthy, nutritious, dinner made of pancakes and lots of laziness when I felt a gush. This isn't the first time it's happened so I just sat and waited, about 5 seconds later I felt another gush and went to the bathroom. Sure enough there was blood. Lots of blood.  Like couldn't see the bottom of the toilet, lots of blood. Last time I had bled (April 19-20) it was bad, but not this bad and had stopped in a little under 24 hours. Against Drs orders I did not go to the hospital. He made me promise if I had anymore bleeding at any point I would go because it could be life threatening to me and the baby. So naturally I grabbed a pad and sat on the couch and told Jim I was going to watch it and if it got worse we would go in. Within a few minutes there was another gush or two and I was annoyed and went to the bathroom again. This time there was less blood, but there was a clot, a laaaarge golf ball sized clot, and when I saw it I new we had to go in. I yelled at Jim who threw Nixon in the car and we were at the hospital in probably 5 minutes. Luckily our really good friends lives down the street from the hospital and were also there within minutes to take Nixon and make sure he had fun that night!! I can't tell you what a relief it is knowing there's someone who knows your baby just about as good as you do, and so willing to help even with a 3 month old and a two year old of their own! We owe you, Smiths!!
IMG_0111
Anyway. It took a few minutes to get checked in and changed and they had me go to the bathroom and there was still blood. It didn't take long for them to just admit me so that they could watch me and try to control the bleeding. Around 10 we were getting settled into our room. I did/do find it so weird that I'm in a full blown labor and delivery room. Like just right over there is the baby bed and I stare at it all day. But they also have me in the isolation room, another hilarious perk. I'm kinda outta the way, you literally walk through a storage closet to get to the room! But it's quiet and they haven't forgotten about me! My nurse said at this hospital they don't get many people like me, ya know, “residence" if you will. That night I had to be hooked up to the monitors all, night and it was probably the worst thing ever. This baby is so so so active that she won't stay long enough to get a good read on her heart beat! The nurse kept saying "I know you are alive in there, I hear you kicking and moving, but just stay still" and I couldn't have agreed with Her more!! After about an hour or more of that she finally settled down enough to the point we got a little sleep.

They were in and out of here all night and I was trying not to move so she would stay on the monitor and then with all the fluid I peed about 10 times and that was annoying. Finally I was up for the day at about 3 and just hung out. They said Dr. Huish would be in after he did a c section at 7:30. I don't know how he does it but at 7:30 on the dot he walked into my room. He pretty much said I would be here through the weekend if we could get the bleeding to stop. He also said that he would like me to stay pregnant for another week or two and that kinda broke my heart. Something about the realization that the Dr. has less hope for you than you do will really rattle your strength. From there I met with all sorts of people, NICU, nurse practitioners, anesthesiologist, and more. The reality of everything was hard but after I cried I knew there was nothing more I could do and just took it in stride. Jim picked up Nixon and ran some errands with him and came back to the hospital about 12:30. I've never been more happy to see that sweet babies face in my life!! He was smiling from ear to ear and just kept saying "Baba! Baba!!" (That's what he calls me, I've never been mama) he was so cute and on his best behavior and his dad had him dressed and hair done, father of the year!! They stayed until nap time and then went home and we all took a nap! At this point everything was looking much better! No big clots, no gushes of blood, I was just peeing out brown small chunks and I thought I would be in the clear! I was lucky enough to have some visitors again, Jim Nixon and Paige came! It was so nice to just chat and be with people! Right after Paige left I went to the bathroom and sure enough, I passed another large clot. This one was even bigger than the last, I would say the size of two golf balls. Just like that, everything I was working for got ripped away. I was promised I could shower, I was told I would only be in the hospital for the weekend, and just like that no shower and calls to the Dr. were put in place. Once the nurse talked to Dr. Huish he said there was a possibility that if I passed another clot of that size I would be transferred to the other hospital that has more experience with high risk. That scared me because I love my Doctor! I am “comfortable” at this hospital, and I don’t do well with change. That pretty well sums up the first 24 hours of our stay.
I tried to attach a short video of the highlight of my life, but I blame the hospital internet. Hopefully the link will work! https://youtu.be/Aj_1gjQMEeU






No comments: