Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Family Room Make Over

In college I took a class called Modern Architecture and Furniture. I was a Fashion major and needed a humanities credit and thought that I’d try my hand at interior design. Guess what? I LOVED it, to say the least. It was interesting, and time consuming. Every quarter we had to compile a book of different chairs and buildings, 3 per designer. All in all, there was about 150+ different images in my book. I spent so much time compiling them, drawing some and really learning about others, I wish I could do it all again in slow motion to really soak it in. Still to this day I go goo-goo over Van Der Rohe’s Barcelona chair and would die to ever own the real thing. My personal favorite is the Eames Molded Plastic Chair. As soon as I learned about this chair I knew I had to have it! When I found out I was pregnant I debated on the rocking chair I wanted. This is a huge decision to make, you spend hours in that one chair. I thought about a glider (vomit, they are just ugly) or an arm chair rocker, but I couldn’t shake the idea of the Molded Plastic Chair. I also knew that the real deal would probably be the cause for much heart ache when my child eventually takes a marker to it, you know it’s going to happen. So, I bought a knock off, and I love it. Shhhh Don’t tell. I also want to use these chairs at my kitchen table, eventually. Don’t worry, it wont be too much of an over load because the rocking chair will live in Nixon’s room and pretty much I will be the only one that knows it’s there.
Anyway, what I’m trying to say is that I really enjoy interior design and wish that I went to school for that and not fashion (I still love you fashion). And that leads me to my next point, and purpose of this post. Lately I’ve really been LOATHING my current family room. I haven’t ever liked it actually. We are renting our house and only planned on being here for a year… and two and a half years later we are still here. The colors are all very warm, and I like very cool colors. This has really thrown me through a loop, resulting in no effort being made and a goulash of furniture, some my style, but most, not. So as a result I’ve spent all day looking around for new furniture, decorations, etc. Here’s what I’ve come up with. Please note that I have next to no Photoshop experience, and I don’t own a Photoshop program so this is all brought to you by none other than Paint. Living Room
I’d really love to hear what you think! I’m taking any and all suggestions because in all reality, this is going to be a process. First I’ve got to talk my husband into letting me do all this, second, I’ve got to get rid of pretty much everything I own.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Sounds like to me I should be hiring you to decorate my house! ;) at least you've found a fun hobby even if you can't start making changes right away!

Nicole said...

I spy the Nate Berkus lamp and Target mirror. :) But what about the roman shades? Where are those from... I've actually been looking for something similar.