Wednesday, March 11, 2015

NYC Part III

We woke up Sunday morning after we all had a loooooooong nights sleep. I really think we didn’t wake up until about 10, and didn’t leave the hotel until about noon. The first stop we made was heading down to Macy’s. I’ve never gotten so lost and confused in my entire life! It was beyond massive and trying to find an elevator to take back down was impossible! We ended up on the escalators going down, with a stroller, and that’s just not my favorite. But the original wood escalators? I just couldn’t get enough of them! They were the slowest moving cool thing I’ve ever seen. I loved them.
IMG_0025IMG_0053IMG_0029


From there I could see the flat iron building. I don’t know what it is about that stinkin’ thing but I find it just down right magical. I was so excited to see it in real life it’s kind of embarrassing. We planned on eating lunch at the original Shake Shack across the street, but when we got there… it was gone. I’ve never been so upset in my entire life. Eataly was across the street and we had heard that it was really good, but I had my pregnant heart set on Shake Shack. We found the nearest one at Grand Central and jumped on the subway and headed up there. It was delicious. Those cheese fries?? don’t get me started.
IMG_2491IMG_0058
IMG_2493IMG_2495
After our previous day (WE WALKED 7 MILES!!!!) We were kind of set on taking it easy…er. Nixon fell asleep at Madison Square park and slept most of the way through lunch. But when he woke up, he wasn’t in the best of moods. We hopped back on the subway and headed for Central Park. By the time we actually got to the park we were nearly at temper tantrum phase. We got him out of the stroller to stretch and run and he just wasn’t happy. There were some squirrels running around in the grass so we stood him on a bench to watch and as you would have it, he just through up all down the bench. Luckily he was leaning forward just far enough that it all completely missed him. That sure explained a lot but I felt so bad for him! I have no idea why he was sick, but after that he ended up falling asleep and taking another long nap. It was kind of nice! We walked down through the Central Park Zoo and ended up catching a little bit of the sea lion show. They also have this adorable clock that chimes and animals go around it and once again, we were in the right place at the right time. We walked down to one of the many lakes and just sat and watched the kids play with the bubbles. I told Jim that if we lived in The City every Sunday we would go sit and watch those bubble kids. It was so entertaining! We walked down and around the boat house and then up some freaking mountains to get to the castle. Nixon woke up around this point and was in a totally good mood! He was back to his old self and just wanted to run around. Lucky for him the park was the perfect place for that! We ran around the castle for awhile, and then found a park until we were kicked out. We then headed back to mid town, grabbed dinner, and took it back to our hotel. Nixon did go to bed early, and ended up waking up again gagging and nearly throwing up. He didn’t eat much of anything so there wasn’t anything to throw up. Poor guy, being sick on vacation is the worst (for all of us)!!

IMG_0024IMG_0026 - Copy
IMG_0020 - CopyIMG_2497
IMG_0050IMG_0035 - Copy
IMG_0397IMG_0032
IMG_0402IMG_2499
IMG_0399IMG_2504IMG_2508
Monday we were off to a nearly equally slow start. Once we were up and functioning we headed for China town. The weather was so so nice! We were all sans coats for awhile and we really just enjoyed it! I think Nixon was even hot in the early afternoon! Whoops! I was really excited about this and I really wanted some good Chinese for lunch! I wanted to enjoy the shops and just take it all in! As soon as we came out of the subway my mind was changed and I couldn’t get out of there fast enough. The smells, the dead fish in the street, just typing this makes me sick. So we pretty much just walked right through and on into Little Italy. I liked Little Italy. It was so cute with all the tables on the street and it was such a nice day I just wanted to sit down at any table and just eat everything. We ended up at Lombardi’s, the oldest pizzeria in the city. It was really good, but the salad I really thought was the high point. I can’t get over it!
IMG_0408IMG_0388
IMG_0357IMG_0358
After lunch we stopped at a playground just down the street and let Nixon get some wiggles out. I really do just enjoy watching him play! He ran around with his dad and had a great time. After awhile it was time for a stroller nap and a stroll through the city. We walked from there threw a tiny part of SoHo, through NYU and ended up at Washington Square Park. Again, we just sat and watched the people and took it all in. My favorite thing in the world is watching the nannies, I don’t know why, but I find it so interesting!
IMG_2520IMG_0363
IMG_0383IMG_0361
From there we did more walking and head to City Bakery. I’d heard they had amazing hot chocolate, along with the best chocolate chip cookie in the city. I hate to report, I was disappointed. I don’t like semi-sweet chocolate or dark chocolate, or crunchy chocolate chip cookies. Soooo ya, that about sums it up. We each got a cup of hot chocolate with homemade marshmallows in them and we were in for it. A cup should be shared between like 4 people. It’s so rich, but the texture is right on. You can pass on the cookie, it was crunchy and I think I had one bite and was done. Ugh. I’m still upset about how let down I was.
IMG_2523IMG_2528IMG_2531
After the biggest let down of my life we headed back to the hotel, got our stuff and headed for the train. We took the train back out to Cody and Nicole’s and it was an experience. It took about an hour. The most crazy part is you have no idea what track the train you need is going to be on until about 5 minutes before it leaves. So as soon as it pops up on the monitor everyone is making a mad dash for the stairs/escalator/ elevators. It’s plain madness. We made it back out, and I have no idea what time we actually got there. But I’ll leave you with this picture to take us out. Are you sick of this detailed recap of our trip yet? Only one more day so caaaalm down.
IMG_2535

No comments: