Friday, August 31, 2012

Hey Baby, Hey Baby, Hey

This past summer has definitely been one that I’ll never forget. It’s been full of amazing vacations to San Francisco and Utah, job changes, and babies. Before I update you in chronological order, I’d like to remember every step of the way up until this point. And seeing that I don’t keep a journal, this is it. Maybe TMI for you, but for me, that’s just how I remember it.

I had decided about this time last year Jim and I were going to start “trying” in January 2012. Jim, being the responsible one, put the kibosh on that the second it came out of my mouth. Then I decided February, because if we got pregnant right away (ya right) we would have the baby right after he finished his masters (not exactly the right math seeing how he isn’t done until the second week in January 2013). We then together decided that we would try come summer. My idea of summer was May, his was August or September. After tons of begging, pleading, and tears, he also agreed that June seemed like a good month to start trying. So in the middle of May I got my IUD out and on June 15 I bought my first box of pregnancy tests. Because of my IUD I had no idea when the first day of my period was suppose to be so I just guessed as to when it was suppose to come. I came home and told Jim what I bought and he asked “well do you think you are pregnant”? Honestly, I had no idea. I told him I thought my period was suppose to come on Monday but I wasn’t sure and he said to wait until I was sure I had missed it to take a test. So I waited. All. Weekend. Long. It was such a long weekend! On Saturday we went to see What To Expect When Expecting (amazing BTW) and I cried the whole time. I cried on the way home because I so badly wanted to be pregnant. The next day was fathers day and I jokingly said “Hey do you want me to take a test and give it to you for fathers day”? Ya, not so much. He was sticking to waiting until I was sure I had missed it.

Monday morning came and I woke up 30 minutes before my alarm and realized that today was the day I was either going to be heart broken, or really excited. So I hurried to the bathroom, ripped open a test, and waited about 10 seconds for that blue line to show dark, and fast.

I’m pretty sure that very second my heart stopped. I had to reread the box, and the paper inside to make sure that I knew exactly what the lines meant. Sure enough, I was pregnant, and apparently very pregnant. I was shaking and I didn’t know what to do so I picked up my phone then and there and called Jim. “Hello”? “I’m pregnant”, exactly how the conversation went. HAPPY MONDAY, YOU JUST GOT TO WORK, OH YA, YOU ARE GOING TO BE A DADDY! That would have been a lot more exciting to say. I cried, Jim was so excited it made me sad I didn’t keep my mouth shut until after work to tell him in person. I was honestly shocked, and I still am. How is it possible to have an IUD for 2 years and get pregnant right away? I almost feel guilty that it came so easy for us. Jim always wonders why I’m so shocked because I was literally tracking everything thanks to ovulation sticks, and the app on my phone. It was so hard for me not to tell anyone, but I had my select few that knew, and that was good enough for me until we could get to Utah and tell my family in person.

2012-05-13 2012-05-13 001 306 IMG_7423

Those weeks are all kind of a blur to me now, but I do remember feeling really chubby, and telling Taylor that I would welcome morning sickness with open arms if it would make me drop a few lbs. at first. Terrible? Yes. The truth? Double yes. Cursed myself? Absolutely. Ever since week 6 I spend my fair share of time next to that very toilet I was sitting on when I found out I was carrying this little peanut. For a few weeks my morning sickness was like clockwork. 7:45 would roll around and I’d hit my knees. Then it started coming earlier, and I was trying to fight it with crackers and water. Now, I have next to no desire to ever eat a ritz cracker again, and I loved them. Then my morning sickness started hitting early in the morning, and also when I got to work, or in the car, or after a really good dinner, you know, at the most convenient of times. Bacon, ritz crackers, and as of about 11:00 this morning, pop tarts, are on the list of foods I do not eat. Chick-fil-a, Cheba Hut, and Philly Cheese Steaks are all on the list of give-me-right-now-before-I-kill-someone. Yum.

It truly is crazy what your body does as soon as you get pregnant, I don’t even recognize myself anymore. I’ve had two doctor appointments. The first one we just talked and got to hear the heart beat, a solid 154. The next one was the ultra sound, and we saw our little babe for the first time. I am however really upset about the print outs of the ultra sound we got. She said she prints them dark because they fade so fast, well ours sure haven’t so I have a hard time seeing anything at all. I have my third appointment on Tuesday and I think he’s going to say lay off the carbs, that’s all you are consuming. There is so much more to add, and so much more to say, but It’s late, and I’m tired, and this has gone on long enough. If you’ve made it this far you are either A) just that bored or B) a real friend.

2012-06-27 2012-06-27 001 274

Hi Baby! Or should I say, Hi picture of darkness!

We really are so excited to be blessed with this baby. Even when I’m hunched over the toilet in the morning, and Jim is listening while he brushes his teeth, we know we are so lucky. Wish us luck, because honestly, I’m going to need it. I don’t think my body will know how to do labor, I find that absolutely impossible!!

2012-06-27 2012-06-27 001 2602012-06-27 2012-06-27 001 2802012-06-27 2012-06-27 001 328

Eleven, Twelve, and Fourteen weeks

3 comments:

meg said...

Finally an update! Congrats Kens I'm so happy for you and can't wait to hear all the updates!

Annalysha said...

It gets better Kens! I was sicker than a dog until week 16 or 17 and then it went away. I am so so happy for you and excited!
You will be a wonderful mother!
Fun to see your pictures! Love you!

Kasey said...

aww congrats!! so awesome :):)